Nel-Olivia Waga, Contributor
Jan. 5, 2022
This new year not only starts off with lots of hope for a better future, but also with a New Moon (in Capricorn). Both of these aspects make us much more receptive to implementing changes into our daily lives.
Here are 22 small positive and, above all, simple habits to remind us of how we could do even better in 2022.
- Declutter your life. Your wardrobe (thin it out and give what you don‘t need to charity), your relationships, your emails, your workspace, the people you follow, content you click on without knowing why. Eliminate everything that weighs you down, that no longer sparks joy (Marie Kondo) and make space for new, happier and lighter things, people and situations.
- Count your blessings and be grateful for what you have. You have no idea how powerful this habit is. It makes you happier and lets you look for the good in everyone instead of the bad.
- Tell those people who matter to you know, that they do. You never know when or if you’ll see them again. Be more present in their lives.
- Make your bed in the mornings. It’s a simple self-discipline which makes for a brighter day.
- Start a journal. Writing down your thoughts works wonders.
- Write bucket lists. Your mood lifts automatically, when you have something to dream about and to look forward to.
- Help people, who can’t do anything for you. Being kind to others makes you happy too.
- Be more conscious about your life and its impact on this planet. Do something positive for the planet every day, i. e. reduce your plastic waste, purchase consciously, support eco-friendly brands, volunteer, offsetyour flights (CO2 emissions).
- Consciously hold back from judging others and yourself. It makes you so much more content and a brighter person to be around.
- What would you do if you weren’t afraid? Go on – do it.
- Prioritize and stick to a healthy breakfast/morning routine. Your morning ritual sets the tone for the (energy of the) day. Drink ten glasses of water every day. Continuous hydration is key for our health, focus, well-being and performance.
- Eat more slowly. Think about what you eat and why you are eating it (do you really need that snack?). Allow your body to digest your food properly and you’ll help to bear down on your hunger levels.
- Try to get 7-8 hours of sleep per night. Sleep quality is life quality. Productivity, energy, focus, and well-being all flow from quality rest time.
- Switch off all your screens (tv, phone, computer) at least one hour before going to bed. Let your mind rest and prepare for sleep.
- Stretch, walk and move your body every day - preferably in nature and at daylight.
- Have your vitamin levels checked and adjust with supplements. There is no better time to do this than now.
- Be proud of yourself. Count your achievements and reflect on your strengths and qualities to boost your confidence.
- Plan your day (and your outfit) the night before. You’ll have a smoother start to the day.
- Write down a goal for each month of this year - and make a plan on how to accomplish it.
- Write to-do lists every day. The act of putting pen to paper makes you memorize and focus on these more effectively. You’ll automatically have more structure in your life and you’ll lose the fear of forgetting or missing an important task. And: Ticking off what you’ve done is so satisfying too.
- Train yourself not to postpone but to do the uncomfortable things first.
- Think in solutions - not in problems.
Happy New Year!
© 2022 Forbes Media LLC. All Rights Reserved
This Forbes article was legally licensed through AdvisorStream.